Just 2 days ago I signed up for triple A roadside service. We are going to Alaska on the Alaska/Canadian Highway in July-August 2009. I thought having a dead battery, run out of gas, flat tire, and tow service might be nice.
Well, Saturday we finished our shift at the Portland Temple and found that our hybrid had a dead battery. There had been a buzz alarm when I left it earlier, but I ignored it. It often does that and most of the time I can't figure out what it is trying to warn me about. This time it was that I had left the headlights on. Our Avalon has an automatic headlight turn off and I thought that the gadget-laden Camry had the same. It doesn't!
Janeil got the owners manual out and we figured a jump start was needed. We called AAA which happened to be just down the street. They said the service vehicle would be there within 40 minutes. They were there in about 10 minutes. The driver hadn't ever jump started a hybrid so he looked for the battery under the hood. As shown in the attached picture, it is in the trunk. So he hooked up the jumper cables according to the owner's manual diagram. He said it was a strange way to hook it up. It worked and we were on our way.
Is there something to be learned from this experience? Well yes, old dogs can be taught new tricks.
4 comments:
With as many computers and batteries that are in that car, it is hard to believe that could happen! You would think it would send you a text message or phone call, "please turn my lights off!".
My battery died about a month ago and I sat for two and a half hours in the rain/snow drizzle, waiting for the help my ins. co. sent to P.G. (I was in Provo), then went in search for me in A.F. and then Lehi! I felt particularly sorry for myself. :) However, even my 2003 poor-(wo)man's-car turns its lights off.
You think the AlCan hiway is better than it was 1961 when Daddy welded a plate under his car so we'd not get stuck in the middle of nowhere from a potential rock breaking the oil pan? I well remember sleeping in the car, waiting for the gas station to open, because we'd not make it to the next one. And the headlines going on the fritz coming home, so we drove by full moonlight, and Daddy would have me shine a light plugged into the cigarette lighter for warning the few cars that passed us. Don't forget to stop and see Robert Service's homestead. And Sitka. Oh to be a little mouse.... :)
I've had to call AAA a couple of times. It's worth the fees to have the peace of mind.
We would have come out, though! At least you were in a safe place.
There was a kid in my graduate program that kept a fold-up bicycle in his trunk so he keep going on his bicycle if the car stopped.
-Carl
Post a Comment