Monday, August 3, 2009

Going to church in another country

2 Aug 2009, Sunday

The meetings in Fort St. John ward were wonderful. There were several investigators for the missionaries to teach. The members were friendly to us. One of the missionaries bore his testimony and said that his one regret was that he hadn’t shared the gospel with his best friend before he left.

We saw our second moose. This one was alive and grazing in the beltway alongside the highway. There is a 40 yard strip of grass on both sides of the highway before the thick woods start. The moose like to eat the lush grass that grows there. There are “don’t feed the bear” signs. The trees up north here are very stunted.

It rained last night and today. Hopefully some moisture fell on the fires in the south also.

We have decided to go to Scagway instead of Fairbanks. We should get there in three more days of hard driving. We then will turn around and head home on some of the same roads but also on some major loops in new territory.

We have been listening to a Stephen King story on tape about a 9 year old lost in the northeastern woods of the USA. It fits the theme of our trip nicely. Janeil says if someone ever wanted to get away from civilization this would be the place to go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to get away from civilization. -Carl

Sweet Polly Purebred said...

A good movie to watch would be "Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog."

Sometimes I think I would like to get away from civilization too, but I think we're all too attached to convenience.

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

You're right, Polly. I miss being able to connect via the internet whenever I want to.

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brenda said...

Isn't Steven King a horror writer? Is the book good?