Sunday, October 12, 2008

Seven trivia events

1.  I kissed my future wife on our first date.  I had tried this with other girls but she was the first one who seemed to like it.
2.  While driving home from a date with my fiance' I fell asleep and crashed into a highway patrol car.  When I appeared before the justice of the peace (the citation was for following too close), she was rocking in her rocking chair and asked if I'd been to the hospital to visit the officer (who was a personal friend of hers).  I pled guilty as charged and got out of town with a $90 fine and my scalp intact.  P.S. The collision knocked out my four front teeth.
3.  Each of our five children were born in a different state (Utah, Connecticut, Montana, Indiana, and Oregon).  Once we stopped moving there were no more children born.
4.  Four of our children married someone older than themselves.  So did I.
5.  I like to buy day-old bakery items although I don't eat them myself.
6.  For thirty years I rode my bicycle to work every day.  Janeil rode the bus one way to work and walked home the other.
7.  When I was a junior in South High School (Salt Lake City), I won the patriotic essay contest sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution. The prize was to spend a day as a guest of the Utah National Guard at Camp Williams.  That day changed my life.  I had previously had aspirations of going to West Point Military Academy, instead I enlisted in the army reserves and was a PFC (private first class) for 8 years.  Two and a half of the eight years was on inactive reserves status (as an "ambassador") in Sweden.  P.S.  I was the only one who entered the contest.  Isn't fate sweet?

5 comments:

velvetelement said...

Fun facts I didn't know. Although I had heard about you falling asleep and losing a few teeth in your younger years!

g said...

these are wonderful as were the dial a bus adventures.

thanks for sharing.

sheryl said...

I learned some new things also, like the dar essay contest. I posted 7 present-tense things on my blog.

brenda said...

I hadn't heard about the DAR essay either, and I didn't know you put the poor officer in the hospital! These are going to become legend around our house. Thanks!

Julie said...

Very cute stories about you guys! It rivals the one we have of Ryan and I when we were married for about a year. We were driving past Albany, heading towards Corvallis when we decided to swap gum. I had just one piece in my mouth but Ryan had a huge wad. We swapped with no problems, until we swapped back! As Ryan sat up, he turned the stearing wheel and sideswipped a duel-rear wheeled diesel truck. Good thing because the guy right behind him said we were heading straight for his car and it would have been head on. When we told the police officer what happened, he wrote down "french kissing" as the cause. We felt so stupid!