Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kiss of Death


The polls could save a lot of time if they would just ask me how I'm going to vote.  Every single candidate I voted for lost, except Senator Gordon Smith and his re-election is still too close to call at noon on Wednesday.  

I also had a near perfect record on the measures being settled in the opposite of my vote.  Again there was one exception, the vote to expand the Senior Center failed which is what I wanted.

It was amazing how many of the contests were won by a 1-2% margin.  Our individual votes are important since a very narrow gap separates the winner from the vanquished.  It also shows there is not landslide victory for the winner.  Almost the same number of people felt the other way.

  Maybe what we need are moderates to be elected who would let both sides achieve some of their goals.  Short of that, our two party system which seems to swing back and forth every 8 years, is a nice way to achieve balance over the long run.   

6 comments:

Gail said...

You could move to Utah! Most of "my people" won, other than nationally of course. And I was glad to see Prop 8 voted down. "Tolerance" has not quite become more important than values.

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

Amen. But we're supposed to love the sinner without condoning the sin.

Janeil

Sweet Polly Purebred said...

You could look at it this way...when things get bad (worse?) you can say, "It's not my fault! I voted for ______." I try not to tell people who or what I voted for. That way they can't blame me down the road. c:

Gail said...

Exactly, Janeil. Yes, politics can be most annoying, Polly. So Eldon, how is your partisan group feeling about Smith?

brenda said...

Sorry about your man, Gordon.

Thanks for the fun visit. You should have heard the girls squeal when they found the candies on their beds. They threw their arms around each other and jumped up and down screaming for several minutes.

Julie said...

Gail is right- Utah is good for passing "LDS" values into government- most of the time. But it was surprising to see the narrow margin that Obama lost by in this state. Did you hear about my parents house being up for sale? After visiting Utah for Halloween, they are not looking forward to going back to Oregon. They are still here with me now- dad is looking for work. They have their trailer/RV on the side of my house. They enjoy the privacy while staying for extended periods of time! They should be back in Oregon by Friday. They are very motivated to sell the house!